Sunday 6 April 2008

Ah women......when DO we get to be counted?

50 years of independence. 12 times of general elections. Half the country populated by women. And yet the status of women still leaves much to be desired. Examples abound as to how unjust we Malaysians are to women. Yes and I repeat Malaysians .........including women as well!

A case in point. Ever notice how kampong protocol treats the husbands of VIPs? At any public functions at constituency level, the wife of a wakil rakyat/VIP will be accorded a seating place beside her VIP or YB husband. As for husbands of VIPs or YBs, well,please find your own seat!

I would like to share here a very disillusioning incident that happened to me in 1995. I was then a newly elected Member of Parliament eagerly performing my duties and serving my constituents. I was invited to officiate a Family Day function. Family... ok? So I invited my husband to come along. I was full of excitement, this function being one of the first few functions that I would be officiating. As soon as my car reached the venue, I was prepared to be on my best everything, posture, modes of address, speech .....and the like. I opened the door and stepped out gracefully, adjust my sarong, straighten my baju kurung and put on my charming smile, ready for the task ahead, My husband meanwhile understandingly took his time and came out a good two minutes later. But surprise! surprise! ; the head of the reception committe with another person carring a tray whisked past me and headed straight to my husband. "Welcome YB' he greeted while picking a rosette from the tray and proceeded to pin it onto my bewildered husband's shirt. My embarrassed other half whispered something to him and pointed towards me. Our red-faced Mr.Male Chavenist mumbled something and make a Uturn towards me apologising profusely. Turned out he thought that the MP had to be a man! What maddenning logic!!!

Another time, another place. I was officiating a co-operative society AGM. I noticed that all the board members were men, so I thought I would chide them and suggest that they elect at least one or two women to the board ( me being a member of government administeration and all). The women applauded while the men in the audience smiled. Came refreshment time the topic of women board members cropped up again. I reiterated my stand. Then the Chairman of the board offered his opinion . " But..." he said " All the women are grandmas !" This from a man who was himself over the hill , so to speak. He must be sixty something and so were the rest of his committee. Hello! aren't all of you grandpas? The gall of these men!
How come it is all right for them to be committee members at a grandpa's age where as the same is not applicable to women?
And women, come to the fore and say your mind...PLEASE!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Edi pulak selalu hilang kat belakang dewan or dalam kereta bawah pokok...jenuh dema panggil ajak masuk dewan..harap2 dapat berjaya macam mak.