Tuesday 3 November 2009

WILL THEY EVER LEARN ?

What's the matter with the Jabatan Agama Islam Selangor (JAIS)? I have an axe to grind with these people since way back in 1997 when I was the Member of Parliament for Parit. JAIS was overzealous then; and now they have gotten worst! Back then I had the privilege of voicing my disgust at JAIS in the August house of the Dewan Rakyat. I had pointed out the arrogance and folly of JAIS who was concentrating on minor targets when they should be concentrating on bigger and more important issues. I had said then that they had no conviction, no sense of direction and to my mind, no credibility at all!

Today JAIS has issues with the charismatic Dr Mohd Asri (above), the former mufti of Perlis. I have always held high regards for Dr. Mohd Asri. He is learned, cultured and knowledgable in Islamic affairs. He is not like most conventional gurus who are quick to pass judgements on people, and commited only to their school of thoughts. I perceive Dr Mohd Asri as a breath of fresh air. Very dynamic in his views, people friendly and willing to listen and give appropriate counsel. And more importantly, very pragmatic in his dealings with Islam and women issues.

But why is it that whenever someone or some quarters, like the Sisters in Islam (SIS) for instance, appear to have differing views albeit with the proper Islamic references, they seem to earn the ire of the authorities-that-be ?

I am glad to read that the President of the Malaysian Syariah Lawyers has apologised to the former Perlis mufti. Hold your head high Dr Mohd Asri. I believe more apologies are forthcoming!

No comments: