Sunday 15 June 2008

LOST IN THE WONDER OF LANGKAWI

Langkawi is fantastic ; and I mean that with a capital F. I spent four wonderful days at Langkawi recently. My last visit was about five months ago. This time around my husband and I stayed at The Frangipani Resort. Although the rate was a bit high , the sights and atmosphere around the resort was well worth it!

We were lucky to get a chalet quite close to the Andaman Sea, where we could see the angry waves crashing against the shore and hear the restless winds lashing against the leaves of the frangipani trees .Dark green coconut palms swayed gracefully in rhythm with the whistlings.

The feeling was truly terrific and therapeutic !

Remember my motto...........when the going gets tough the tough go shopping? Well I do worry a lot about the goings- on in UMNO at the moment , and with the branch meetings due in a month's time I feel there is an excuse to go shopping and fishing. And where else can I combine these two passionate pastimes than in Langkawi!

Our fishing guru in Langkawi was Pak Hassan , a tanned fifty-something fisherman who knew the temperaments of the sea and the moods of our prey. On the second day of our stay , we took off in Pak Hassan's single engined boat with rods and baits............. ready to conquer the sea. The day's takings wasn't the least disappointing. We brought back a pail of cencarus and ikan kembong that were fooled by our appolo baits !

The third day was earmarked for shopping and adventure. I was taken in by the abundance of designs and shapes of crockery and kitchenwares on display at most of the stores. After about an hour or so of looking around I managed to put together a set of twelve different shapes of melamineware for my family barbeque needs . A heap of them and they cost less than a hundred and fifty ringgits!

Next came my usual patronage to my favourite baju kurung material shop. And as predicted by my significant other, I succumbed to temptation and bought three pieces of Italian silk. Yes they were Italian alright, and very attractive too.
Well that was enough shopping for one day............for my needs that is. The rest of the shopping
spree was spent looking for gifts for my clan and friends.

The shopping done, we headed to a simple lunch. Hubby suspected that I was already kenyang with the shopping and not really interested in food. I hate to admit it, but he was half correct.

The weather was still fine with bright clear sky and cool gentle breeze when we headed back to our hotel in our rented car. We decided to cruise along and enjoy the scenery. That was when I noticed how beautiful Langkawi had become. Travelling along the tree lined road puncuated by neat kampung houses really stirred this feeling of pride and appreciation for this beautiful island. At one point during a lonely stretch of road , I was lost in admiration and wonder. The scenery was overwhelming. The sentang tree with creamy white blooms seemed to line both sides of the road endlessly, at times forming natural arches along the way. It was as though we were travelling in a jungle with lush greenery and a tarred road winding admist this wonder of nature. It was awesome. Really awesome !

Suddenly I realised how fortunate we were to have a haven like Langkawi, nature at its best with white sandy beaches and tropical trees, shopping with choices aplenty and sports in abundance.

The BN government which developed Langkawi had done an excellent job. I pray to God that Langkawi and Kedah would return to the Barisan Nasional state government come the 13th General Election, Godwilling.

2 comments:

Li'l Green Bean by Eda Ismail said...

Hey Mom!
Can't wait for the BBQ sessions!

Anyway, I wish people would cut Tun M some slack, and give him due credit. After all, he has 'eaten salt' - we can't just dish his 22 years of leading the country.

I hope Perak, Kedah and Selangor will return to BN. But BN in turn will have to lead by example, and make the rakyat want to 'pulang sirih ke junjung'...Good luck to us all, Insyaallah!

In case you ever wondered, I'm real proud of all the things you're doing for the people of Kampung Gajah. Your steadfastness and dedication is inspiring. You add colour to their world! I'm sure they appreciate and see the good that you've done for them. I just wished you and Abah didn't have to be on the road so much...

DATO AINON KHARIYAH BT DATO MOHD ABAS DPCM, PMP, AMP said...

Thank you so much for your kind thoughts and words.You and your siblings' support and encouragement inspired me a lot . Good one ! --- about the subtle request. Point noted. Thanks.

InshaAllah reasons will prevail and BN will be back at the helm to pursue our dreams and hope for a peaceful and harmonious co-existence among the races --- with Malay supremacy as enshrined in our constitution.